Monday, December 16, 2019
Banner Top

The Benin Electricity Distribution Company (BEDC), made it known that not less than 1400MW was needed to guarantee steady power supply to 750,000 households and thirteen million people in Edo, Delta, Ekiti and Ondo States which are its jurisdiction of operations.

The spokesman of the distribution company, Mr Tayo Adekunle, disclosed the company’s plan. He appealed to customers to understand the value chain in the power sector, saying that only 325.34MW was supplied to BEDC to distribute to customers in its area of coverage.

Adekunle explained that BEDC on its part had embarked on network expansion and provided or repaired faulty transformers ranging from 300KVA to 2.5KVA, all in a bid to improve power supply. He added that the company had also embarked on employment and training of fresh graduates to bridge the manpower gap in the sector.

According to the publicist of the distribution company, “BEDC is only a retailer of electricity and not a generating outfit, and as such could only distribute what they get in form of power. As I speak with you, we only get nine per cent of what is generated as power from the generating company; as at Monday July 2, the BEDC got only 325.34MW from the 3614MW generated by GENCO.”

This is a far cry from the total of 1400MW needed to service the company’s clients in the four states of its operations.

Adekunle stressed further that for the company to satisfy its customers, it has introduced a load shedding system of three hours on and three hours off. BEDC is not isolated from the limitations within the industry and has been trying its best to provide safe and reliable electricity to its customers.

He commended the efforts of the Federal Government towards diversifying the sources of power generation through renewable energy and other sources that will boost power supply.

Giving his perspective on metering, Adekunle made it known that BEDC had achieved 65.30 per cent progress in its area of coverage, leaving a metering gap of 34.7 per cent.

 

He said the gap would soon be covered as the company was taking advantage of the government’s Meter Access Provider (MAP).

Adekunle noted that “As for the metering issue, we are happy that the government has come out with a position that will make this easier; so very soon, the issue of alleged over-billing will be put to rest. On our own we have provided a lot of meters even though we have not provided for all the customers,” he stated.

The efforts of BEDC has shown that the distribution company is committed in ensuring reasonable power supply to its customers in its areas of operation.

0 Comments

Leave a Comment

Brent Crude Oil

WTI Crude Oil

Advertisement

img advertisement

Advertisement

img advertisement

Newsletter